The application is up for the Harrisonburg Citizen Academy and YOU should apply if you live or work in the ‘burg.
Are you wondering why? Well, I like being in-the-know in the area I live in. Wouldn’t you like to know how things work?
Here are a few reasons why I think it is worth your time:
- You meet others who want to get involved and be educated on their city
- You meet the movers and shakers of the city–make awesome contacts
- Make friends. Seriously. I made at least one awesome friend and many acquaintances I could call upon.
- These people make the city run, you should learn what they do
- You know that one thing that the city does that bugs you? You can finally ask them why. The answer will surprise you.
- You gain SO much knowledge!
- It’s FREE!
I wrote about each class when I took it in 2010. I’ll give you a list of classes we had, but please know that they may have changed a bit. Click on the link to read my thoughts on each class!
- Public Works
- Community Development
- (The four below are part of a Saturday Tour)
- Harrisonburg-Rockingham Regional Sewer Authority
- City of Harrisonburg Water Treatment Plant
- Harrisonburg Recycling Department
- Resource Recovery Facility
- Economic Development
- Parks and Recreation
- Public Transportation
- Fire Department
- Emergency Communication Center (with Tour)
- Police Department
If you are interested, find the application here.